Thursday, December 22, 2011

The week before Christmas and all was not quiet

It has been a very stressful week so far.  R's Uncle passed away Saturday and he went to the funeral yesterday. I didn't go with him because my best friends husband is in the hospital on a ventilator and my not make it.  His wishes are not to be on a ventilator, so she is left with a very tough choice-follow his wishes or not. 

So yesterday she did it, they took him off the ventilator.  I waited and waited for her to call.  I really wanted to be there with her but she needed me to be taking care of some other things for her, so I was doing as she asked.  Finally she called he was breathing on his own.  He even spoke to her a little.  He'll have to be on stronger oxygen when he gets home and hospice will have to be there ever day with him but hopefully he will be home soon.  He has a terminal lung disease so he will never get better. 

I was so worried that she was going to lose him.  I know she has been preparing for the day it happens but it came very close this time and no matter how much you think you are prepared, you never are prepared for the death of a loved one. 

So please cherish the ones you love and even the ones you don't.  I know I'll be holding R closer to me this holiday season as he is the only gift I need.

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah and Happy New Year!

heather1


No comments:

Post a Comment