Thursday, December 29, 2011

Death Sets Among Us

Yesterday I received the call that I was dreading.  One of my best friends husband's had passed away.  He had been fighting a rare lung disease for 4 years and his heart gave out on him.  He had been in he hospital for over almost a week and a half.  He had been on a ventilator when he first went into the hospital because he had spotted breathing and the ambulance crew vented him.  They took him off the vent a week ago Tuesday and he was breathing on his own.  Making improvements.  Setting in a chair.  Talking to his wife, kids and family. 

Than this Tuesday he took a turn for the worse.The doctor's on Tuesday gave him 5 to 7 more days. He was able to talk with his kids and tell them how much he loved them.  How proud he was of them and that he would not be around much longer.  Yesterday he left this world.  My friend will never have his arms around her again.  Never hear his voice.  Never know that his is there for her when she needs him.  Nothing can replace that emptiness. 

She is surrounded by her family right now so she doesn't need me at the moment.  But I will be there whenever she does.  Her Mom is a wonderful person and went through this loss two years ago (almost to the day).  So she will be a great comfort to her daughter.  

I cried in R's arms as I thought about her and her loss.  I told R that my life would be over without him.  I wouldn't know how to go on. 

So now I wait for news from her as to the arrangements and what she needs me to do.  I'll continue to cover for her at work (yes, she's my boss also but they've both been our friends for over 20 years).  I know that I have to keep things going at work so she doesn't have to worry about that area of her life.  I just wish there was more I could do.  I wished there was more I could do when he was alive but he refused a transplant and the insurance wouldn't cover it.  He didn't want to leave his family destitute because of his medical issues.

I know we all are heading forward death but I don't like it when it takes someone close to me. 

Death sets among us
Waiting to pick us off
There is no rhythm or reason
For whom he takes from your life
It could be you or the one you love the most
It could be a friend and your friends most beloved
Remember he lurks in the back ground day and night
Waiting patient to take them away from you
Or  you way from them
Death sets among us waiting for his que

No comments:

Post a Comment