Thursday, October 27, 2011

Close calls

So today was full of close calls.  My Dad is sick and my Mom had a minor surgery scheduled for today so she called me yesterday morning to she if I could take her.  She, of course, said you can just take me and drop me off and then come back and get me".  Sure Mom - like I'm going to do something like that to you.  Now my sister or brother would have but then that's way Mom doesn't call them when she or Dad needs help.

So I get out to my parents house very very early this morning and as we are leaving I fall down the stairs of the deck.  (close call #1) They only have one tiny light that doesn't light up anything, so it was very dark and you couldn't see anything.  You would think living in the house since I was 13, I would have remembered the # of steps but nope - down I went.  So we went back into the house to brush off the dirt and get a flash light so we could see where we were going this time.  We made it to the car without problems this time. 

Driving to the surgery center.  I'm driving a little over the speed limit (5 miles) on side roads (not the hwy) and I've been watching for deer this whole time as this is the time of day they start to move around.  I glance down for a second and when I glance back up - all I see is deer ass.  Mom is gasping.  And the deer is gone with just a scuff on the passenger side of the car.  (close call #2).  I was just glad we had both gone to the bathroom before we left the house.

Finally make to the surgery center.  Get Mom checked in and they take us back, Mom to her room and me to the special waiting room.  This is 7:45am cst.  They have to take Mom back 3 times before the biopsy comes back clean of cancer cells.  There is at least a 45 minute wait in between the times they take her back to the room as they have a lab to check the biopsy they've cut out.  The second time they brought her back she got her Valium out and took 2.  After about 20 minutes, she was feeling much calmer and very sleepy.  She was really scared when the nurse came and said the 3rd time to say they still need to take more.  I had to take the nurse aside to let her know about the Valium, she was glad Mom had taken it.  Hour after 3rd time into the room, the nurse came back to say that it came back clean.  They had finally gotten to cancer free cells.  (close call #3).  They took Mom back to stitch her up (another hour).  Then I got her in the car only to, of course, have to stop and get a prescription (why can't they call these in before you have these things done so you don't have to stop on your way home?)  Stopped to pick up some lunch for all of us as I didn't want Mom to try to fix something (it's her kitchen you know).  Finally got her into bed at 2:30pm.  Took me another 1 to get home.  I was going to go to work after I took my Mom home but since I get off at 4, thought it would be a little stupid to drive all the way to work for 1/2 an hour.

So it's warming up left overs for R for dinner and than a soak in the tub for me.  My butt and thigh hurt from the fall and I'm sure I'll have some wonderfully colorful bruises in the next few days.  Mom and I will have to compare.  They told her she would have two black eyes by Sunday.

Good to be alive and I'm sure I'll dream off deer butt tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment